What Are The Effects of Black Mold Exposure?
Mold Removal West Covina — Despite the commonly held belief that black mold exposure is a serious health concern, no convincing research suggests that exposure to this type of mold causes conditions such as cancer or lung disease.
Mold is a type of fungus. It is present almost everywhere, including the air. In general, normal amounts of mold in the environment do not pose a substantial health risk to healthy people with regular immune system function.
There is no single type of mold called “black mold” — many molds are black. When people use the term, they may be referring to a type called Stachybotrys chartarum (S. chartarum), also known as Stachybotrys atra.
There is no scientific evidence to suggest that exposure to S. chartarum is more dangerous than exposure to any other type of mold.
However, some people may be more sensitive to mold spores than others, and they may develop respiratory symptoms after inhaling even a small number of spores. In large quantities, mold spores can cause ill health in almost anyone.
Therefore, people should remove any mold growth in the home and take steps to prevent it from growing back.
In this article, we look at some facts and myths surrounding black mold exposure. We also describe ways to remove and prevent mold growth in the home.
How Dangerous is Black Mold to Health?
There is a commonly held belief that black mold — sometimes called toxic mold — can cause severe health problems because it releases mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are toxic substances that a fungus produces.
Some research Trusted Source suggests that mycotoxins from S. chartarum have a link to serious health problems in people who live in contaminated buildings.
One such health concern is mycotoxicosis — mold poisoning.
* aches and pains
* memory loss
* changes in mood
To date, there is no proof that inhaling mold spores causes these symptoms. Mold exposure can cause other symptoms.
*It can cause the following types of health problems:
* a dry cough
* a sore throat
* watery, red eyes
* skin rashes
* a runny or blocked nose
Severe mold allergies cause more severe symptoms, including shortness of breath. Mold exposure may also worsen asthma or lung problems in people with preexisting lung conditions.
A 2012 study Trusted Source found that infants and young children exposed to mold in the home had an increased risk of developing asthma by the age of 7. The research examined 289 homes and 36 types of mold. However, S. chartarum was not among the three types of mold most strongly associated with asthma development.
Some people believe that black mold is particularly dangerous because it releases mycotoxins. However, the fact is that all molds are capable of producing mycotoxins. Just because mold is present does not mean that it is producing these toxins.
Most cases of mycotoxicosis result from eating moldy food, rather than from inhaling fungal spores in the home or outdoors. The evidence does not indicate that inhaling or touching mold can cause mycotoxicosis.
For most people with healthy immune systems, molds are not a problem.
However, people with weakened immune systems — such as those with uncontrolled HIV, transplant patients, or people undergoing cancer treatment — are at risk of fungal infections.
It appears that many types of indoor mold — not just black mold — may cause health problems in some people, but not in everyone. Long term exposure to mold in the home, however, may be unhealthy for anyone.
People who are most at risk Trusted Source of the symptoms of mold exposure are:
* older adults
* people with weakened immune systems
* infants and children
* people with allergies or asthma
The main health concerns seem to relate to allergies and irritation, which typically cause respiratory symptoms. People with weakened immune systems may also have a risk of fungal infection.